Meditation guideline for Beginners
Meditation is the soul of living. The term “meditation,” is derived from the Latin word “Meditari,” which means to heal. Meditation is the science and art of healing.Meditation brings awareness. The goal of all therapy is to bring more awareness in life (develop aware self). Because of habitual conditioning of mind, living impure, unaware and unconscious life our life feels itching, and to remove this itching,we scratch and scratch, which only increases the itching. We begin to enjoy the scratching while at the same time, wishing to get rid of the itch. Meditation is the panacea that works to heal such wounds.
Meditation can help you to
~ Cope stress, bringing deep relaxation in body and mind
~ Live peaceful life
~ Unite with spirit
~Be better citizen in the world by mastering immature emotion
~Be effective worker
~ Just simply being happy simple human being like a child.
It has integral benefits-physical, mental, social to spiritual.
How to start
There are many techniques, many traditions and teachers of meditation.
One simple way to start until you find your path would be:
1. Decide to meditate every day morning and/ or evening before bed time for 5 minutes
2. Better choose same time everyday,
3. Sit in same place, facing same direction in the beginning of practice.
4. Close your eyes, relax your body
5. Start to relax your thoughts as if they are clouds floating in the space of your mind. Treat them as if they are strangers, they have nothing to do with you. They come and go.
6. Now with count of 4 slowly start to inhale and counts of 4 slowly start to exhale. As you inhale, enjoy expansion in your body like a wave rising and as you exhale enjoy contraction in your body as a wave falling. Notice the rhythm of rising and falling.
Discomfort in body may arise, Mind might wander, some strong emotions may carry your awareness away from present moment-all kind of resistances, distractions may happen. They are normal. Don’t think and get discourage that it is happening to you only. As soon as you remember simply come back to breath and declare that I have a body but I am not my body, thoughts are there in my mind but I am not my thought, I have feelings but I am not my feelings.
Just breathe this way for 5 minutes.
7. Before you come out of meditation, think of one blessing in your life.Thank for that to Universe and with smile come out of sitting meditation.